My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Working on a smaller scale…

With portraits and the figure, I prefer to work life-size.  By doing so, I can take direct measurements, both visually and by callipers.  I find more difficult and less spontaneous to work smaller or larger than life.  However, working on a smaller scale has the advantage of less labour and hence less hours of modelling. 

Today’s picture is of a half-size figure that I made of Denise when she was taking a full time college course.  We had to squeeze in modelling sessions in the few moments she had spare.  Against all odds, the figure worked well.



3 comments:

  1. Lovely work! Do you use clay? It looks like plastacene...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the way she is wearing her hair and the details in the muscles on the neck!

    ReplyDelete