My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Bas Relief…

Do no let us forget that routine is the greatest enemy to art.

With those words of master sculptor and teacher Edouard Lanteri in mind, I have decided that my next sculpture will be in relief rather than in the round.  Before leaving England I was commissioned to a make series of reliefs for a group of historical buildings.  To get my hand in so to speak, I first made this relief of a seated nude.


Afterwards I discovered the freedom of expression that Gustav Seitz (1906 – 1969) gave to his reliefs, as in the two figures shown below.  His work has enabled me to see a way of incorporating the linier sketch in sculpture: in effect, drawing on clay.  That is what I am aiming for.


Incidentally, there are three distinct divisions of relief: high relief, half relief and low relief (bas relief).

No comments:

Post a Comment