Thursday, July 14, 2011

Breaking the mould…

Today’s picture shows the torso emerging from the waste mould.  The pink plaster is the flick coat.  The colour serves as a warning when chipping through the outer plaster.  When making the mould I add a light wash of clay water between the flick coat and the outer plaster.  This helps the one to separate from the other.  Breaking away the final layer requires a very delicate touch, for otherwise the figure is criss-crossed with chisel marks. 


What a luxury it is to have separate spaces for studio, carpentry, engineering and - with plaster flying in all directions - mould making.  My studio in England had everything, including our living accommodation, under one huge barrel vaulted glass roof.

2 comments:

  1. And it was not anything like as warm back in your studio in England (and it isn't still)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just found your blog and hope that I.have joined as a follower. I have sent you aan email via your site. I am going to do what you suggested and read from the beginning which I guess may take some time LD

    ReplyDelete