My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Monday, July 4, 2011

In the beginning…

This week I am sorting out the studio.  In doing so, I’m finding paintings and sketches that I’d almost forgotten about.  Some go back well over 50 years, to the very beginning of my creative endeavours.   Here, to give hope to those following in my footsteps, is my very first attempt at a watercolour.  


I remember making this pencil sketch of the view over Halifax, Yorkshire, during school holidays.  Incidentally, my brother uses a recent photograph of the same view as the title shot for his enthralling “News From Nowhere” blog. 



1 comment:

  1. There are rather fewer chimneys in Alan's.

    ReplyDelete