My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Lost, found and sold…

Continuing my lost and found sequence but adding, “sold” to the list. 

The very fact that for forty-five years I’ve earned my living from my work inevitably means that hundreds of paintings and sketches have sold.  Sometimes I manage to photograph a picture before its new owner carries it away, but prints fade and hard discs fail.  More often than not, a sale leaves me with only a memory.  

On the other hand, I have, in the words of Whistler, “…favourite pictures that have successfully resisted the danger of sale on more than one occasion”. 

Today’s poor quality image is all I have to remind me of one of my best paintings from a series I made of Denise during two pregnancies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment