Saturday, August 31, 2019

Laments to a flea, a greenfly and a mosquito



Troublesome insects have been lamented by poets for centuries. Over four hundred years ago John Donne wrote his erotic love poem The Flea and more recently A P Herbert lamented The Greenfly. Poets from D H Lawrence down have attempted to wax lyrical about the mosquito but to no avail. 

Yesterday, one of those troublesome insects played havoc with my modelling session. As with A P Herbert's Greenfly I find it difficult to understand how God who made the beauty of the female form then conceived the bothersome mosquito. 

Greenfly, it's difficult to see
Why God, who made the rose, made thee. 

I give credit to my model for willingly working through mosquito bites and stifling temperatures in the 90's. I'm normally envious of my model's comfortable nakedness on sultry tropical afternoons. But with the ground to hot to stand on in bare feet and with the full force of the afternoon sun belting down on her, for the above sketch she sweated a bucket full...and another bucket full could have been wrung out of my shirt!

The painting is testimony to my brave model. Thank you Collean.

No comments:

Post a Comment