Friday, August 23, 2019

Technicalities

As I get very little in the way of feedback to my posts, I am unsure what my followers are after. Is it my paintings, sculptures or the technicalities of work in progress? 

Just in case it's the latter here is a picture of the first stage in taking a mold from my base relief. 




Fine casting plaster mixed to the consistency of cream is flicked over the clay figure. It is a technique that has remained unchanged since the time of Michelangelo. There is no other way; and believe it or not the plaster can pick up every finger print on the clay. Once this first layer has hardened a thicker coat of plaster is troweled on to strengthen the mold. 

This is the first stage of making a "waste mold". An apt term because if it goes wrong everything is lost!




No comments:

Post a Comment