Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Too much green

Much of the action in Jean Rhys's literary masterpiece Wild Sargasso Sea is set on the Island of Dominica and not far from my studio. She describes the countryside as:

...too much...too much blue, too much purple, too much green.

As a painter I know the feeling, for these colours are the most difficult to depict. I prefer earth colours. It gets easier on days like today. We're now in the hurricane season and the first of this year's storms has brought torrential rain. I made the painting below from my studio window in a frustrated five minutes of not being able to do anything else. It's not the kind of scene that would induce tourists but better for me than too much green.




By this afternoon the sky had begun to brighten and the view looking down from the same window was returning to too much green after being flooded out with too much rain.







No comments:

Post a Comment