Sunday, August 11, 2019

Thwart with difficulties

As if attempting to capture the subtle nuances of the female nude in water colours is not enough, the very business of getting down to work can in itself be thwart with difficulties.

Tropical downpours earlier in the week meant cancelling a modelling session. Then, when the weather improved the model I had in mind couldn't make it but her best friend (who is also one of my models) offered to take her place. I prepared the studio well ahead of time, walked down to the river to bathe and mentally prepare myself for the challenge that lay ahead. 

But on my return to the studio I caught a whiff of something that didn't smell right. Thirty minutes before the start of the session, the whiff became the stench. Opening all the doors and shutters only made matters worse. Whatever had died was somewhere in thick undergrowth outside. 

It was too late to cancel the session as my model was already on her way. Actually two models were on their way for the one that couldn't make it finally could. As best friends, Collean and Naomi are inseparable. As there was no way we could work in those conditions we frantically began relocating all that I need for painting to the studio I use for sculpture. 

For my mind to be free and to work at the speed of light, I need everything around me to be in its place. Now everything was in disarray. The painting below is as muddled and stressed out as I was. 




This lightening sketch of the standing figure is closure to the mark.




It was that sketch led me to consider a sculpture rather than painting. I straightaway put down my paints brushes and began taken the key measurements, not for a sculpture in the round but for a bas relief. The relief shown below was destroyed by the hurricane that devastated Dominica two years ago. Perhaps I can now replace it with a new piece of work. If so, the difficulties that frustrated my painting session will not have been in vain.





Naomi more than earned her fee for modelling under such circumstances and Collean was happy with a bag of sawdust for her hamster. If only I could pay all my models in sawdust I could afford to keep them working seven days a week! 

But this post doesn't end there. While I was taking Naomi's key measurements I noticed Collean was intent on scribbling something down on one of my work tables. I know that poetry is one of her passions and after she left curiosity got the better of me. I can only make out the odd word here and there. But therein lies its attraction. Poetry like art should not reveal all of its secrets at a first glance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment