My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A ballpoint pen and a couple of sheets of photocopy paper…

In terms of drawing materials, anything goes.  Toulouse Lautrec and Auguste Rodin at times resorted to brown wrapping paper.  I made the two sketches below with the only materials at hand: a ballpoint pen and a couple of sheets of photocopy paper.  Indeed, I feel more liberated on sheets of newsprint than I do on the finest all rag watercolour paper.



I sketched Gretel unaware as she was sleeping.  I best remember Gretel, not so much for her modelling, but for her uncanny skill at dominoes.   

1 comment:

  1. On the top sketch, it almost looks as though a pair of child's arms are reaching up for a cuddle.

    ReplyDelete