My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Work in Progress

I’m putting the clock back a couple of months so that you can see how my work in progress, a stretched torso, was conceived. 

It came into this world almost of its own accord.  As Denise stretched and arched her back at the end of a modelling session, I saw at a glance the vigorous torso that for years I had visualised at the back of my mind. 

The next step, easier said than done, was to pin that fleeting movement down on paper.  Invariably, a transitory pose is an illusive pose. If the position of the neck, arm or leg changes (albeit minutely) there is a ripple effect that alters everything.  Denise’s technique is to repeat the stretch, time and time again.  Eventually I cry, hold it there! 


The above sketch is both the end result, and the beginning of my work in progress.    

No comments:

Post a Comment