My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Sketch-away...

In an effort to capture the figure in all its moods and changes, I have developed a rapid way of working with watercolours.  It enables me to record the elusive pose that I see out of the corner of my eye. 

I begin by asking the model to twist, turn and stretch as she pleases.  In the split second that she moves from one position to the next, I see the pose that has eluded me.  I then cry, go back, turn again and stop when I tell you…now turn your head away, look over your shoulder…now hold it at that…hold, hold, hold…just a few seconds more.  Now you can relax. 



My sketch, alive and dripping, is down on paper!

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Somehow, it is alive and the colours are beautiful; like wet pebbles on the bed of a river.

    ReplyDelete