My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Where do I start, when do I finish...

Where do I start and when do I finish?  These perplexing questions challenge me at the beginning and end of each piece of work, whether it is a watercolour painting or the clay sketch for life-size figure in bronze.

The creative process begins before I put down my first wash or apply my first handful of clay.  I may have a subject in mind, but how do I portray it?   How can I make permanent that first fleeting impression?  It takes a lifetime to know, not so much what to put into a painting, but what to leave out.  The same applies to sculpture, hence the importance of knowing when to finish.

Sometimes my wife Denise knows when to call a halt better than I do.  She has my permission to take away my paint box when she sees that I have said enough.  In that way, she has saved many a painting from ruin.

We are currently struggling where, in terms of anatomy, to finish the torso that I am currently working on.  A torso usually finishes at the neck, but as you can see from today’s picture, we have taking this one to the lips.  Denise is adamant that we should stop there.  I will take her advice.  There is no way I dare risk incurring the wrath of both my wife and model…in any case, she’s right! 


Hence, as you can see in today’s picture, I have suggested the face without showing the face.

2 comments:

  1. very nice...alan sent me over...and i will def be back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading more, Roger.

    ReplyDelete