My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Contemplating the vicissitudes of life…

Creativity involves breaking new ground; there is no comfortable well-trodden path.  Moreover, the inspiration curve does not always climb steadily upwards.  Frequently it dips and dwells on long level plateaus. 

At the end of a tiring day, I walk down a shaded path to our stretch of the river, not to paint, but to contemplate the vicissitudes of life.  Then, to refresh body and soul I take a dip in a secluded bathing hole that nestles between huge boulders.  The sound of a small waterfall obliterates all else.


Here is my painting of that secret place. 

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to have such a place where you can unwind (and the climate in which to enjoy it!).

    ReplyDelete