Sunday, April 12, 2020

How it all began

The "About the Artist" in the right sidebar of this blog doesn't say it all, there's just not the space. 

It all began in 1967 when I gave up the security of the engineer's drawing office and bought the Yorkshire Keel Barge shown in the photographs. After a year spent converting her from carrying cargoes of coal to carrying a family of three, we sailed to the French Canals. 







Having freed myself of a mortgage and nine to five job I declared myself an artist on the pavements of France. My wife Norma and two year old daughter Diana shared those precarious days. For all its hardships, it was an idyllic lifestyle. My sketches were the songs for our supper and when we had exhausted the possibilities of one location, we sailed on to the next.   

As in Luke Kelly's song Thirty-foot Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yX6Ci-rZck) the days of the traveler are alas over.

There's a by-law to say you must be on your way and another to say you can't wander.

Below is one of my paintings from those early days that nicely ties in with this theme.



No comments:

Post a Comment