Friday, April 24, 2020

The end of one love affair and the beginning of another.




From the 1970's and through the 1980's my love affair was with the islands. But my lover was soon seduced by others who saw her beaches, landscapes and townscapes as Caribbean real estate ripe for development. 

The Virgin Island poet Sheila Hyndman (1958 -1991) expresses the impending change in her poem To Virgin Gorda.

They will come
with tools and machines.
They will bring to light your secret places,
They will demand your mysteries,
They will destroy,
Build up.
They will dilute your treasures
and rob you of your chastity.
They will adorn you like ancient Jezebel. 

In those days my studio was wooden shack alongside an idyllic cove. The above painting was made from the beach below my studio. The ruined house on the headland was my retreat and the painting below was made in its overgrown grounds.



The house is now a palatial residence and I no longer have the freedom to wander through its grounds, nor can my boat lie in the secluded anchorage, for the idyllic cove is now a crowded marina.

But as one love affair ended, another began. 

The hundreds of paintings and scores of sculptures in my series " Daughters of the Caribbean Sun" owe their origin to another of Sheila's poems, which begins:

I am a daughter of the Caribbean Sun
Grown out of the soil of the Virgin Isles.
Molded by the salt of coral filled seas
and smoothed by the touch of the Trade Winds.

Thank you Sheila for being my mentor, muse and true friend. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment