Monday, April 27, 2020

My models are in lock-down


Corona Virus restrictions mean that all of my models, whether here in Dominica or elsewhere in the world, are currently in lock-down. However, having spent a lifetime working from the live model and having the results of my labours preserved in thousands of paintings and sketches, I can carry on regardless. 

This painting is one that I made recently as a preliminary sketch for a piece of sculpture. Along with other sketches on a similar theme - some dating back over thirty years - I am now prepared the clay in readiness for putting the idea into practice.

With the nude figure there's nothing new under the sun. The sculptor Auguste Rodin (1840-1917) found inspiration for the nude in dance. Had yoga been more widely practiced in his day I am sure many of the poses, such as the one shown in my sketch, would have featured in his work.

Kneeling Nude. Auguste Rodin

No comments:

Post a Comment