Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Let there be life

       

The sculpture based on the sketch I posted two days ago has begun to show the first signs of life. By making the figure quarter life-size I can work rapidly. I began work after breakfast and by mid-day the clay was already taking shape. Now that I have created life the challenge will be keep the figure alive. The secret is to suggest rather than define detail. 

My second challenge, due to the current Corona Virus restrictions, will be to complete the figure without reference to a live model. The human figure is the most complex structure in all creation - and the most beautiful. Without the model I cannot second guess the subtle changes that occur from one position to the next.


Below is the aluminium wire armature on which I formed the clay. To give you an idea of scale, the base plate measures 7" x 9".


No comments:

Post a Comment