Thursday, April 16, 2020

Working to within a hair's breadth


Here she is...my second torso ready to be released from its clay form. This time around I have given her the benefit of two different shades of banana paper. I was tempted to add a third but as a painter I have learnt, to add more is to say less. 

My first torso involved piecing together a ten piece jigsaw puzzle. With my second torso I have to reduce the pieces to four and kept the front as one piece. In doing so the clay original is destroyed, just the same as it would be in making a plaster waste mold. The advantage is that once I have carefully removed one section I can then release the remaining segments by excavating the clay. This helps to prevent distortion. It also forces me move on and explore new subjects. 



I am now busy assembling the separate pieces.The fibers within the paper allow me to align one to the other, to within a hair's breadth. As in all art forms, considerable labour and skill goes into achieving what in the end appears to be the work of an inspirational moment.  


No comments:

Post a Comment