Saturday, April 18, 2020

Mission Accomplished


Perhaps the title of today's post should read "Missions Accomplished" with emphasis on the plural. 

Three years ago when I began my experiments in making handmade paper from Dominica's abundant natural resources my objective was distinctive art papers. I now have hundreds of different papers in all sizes, colours and textures. Using the same paper for sculpture never entered my mind until by chance I used it as the surface finish on a dress maker's mannequin.

The pictures below are taken from my blog and follow the story from there. All the pieces are life-size.


My first attempt at applying different papers to a plaster mold. (2nd February)

Banana paper cast into a silicon rubber mold. (15th February)

A fine textured banana paper built up on a clay mold. (28th February)

Dark banana paper using a plaster life-cast as the mold. (3rd March)

My first attempt at a paper sculpture in the round from a clay mold. (9th April)

My second torso in the round nearing completion. (18th April)

What you are seeing is something very different to paper mache, modeling in paper pulp, collage or cut and paste paper assemblies. The technique come closer to the processes involved in casting a sculpture in plaster and bronze. Similar skills are involved with the advantage that the raw material grows for free just outside my studio door. Furthermore, I am in control of the work in progress, from start to finish. In terms of permanence, the resulting sculpture is as permanent as any other art work on paper - and more so, as the surface can be protected against damp and humidity. The key ingredient is the amazing strength of handmade paper. The banana plant stem contains one of strongest natural fibers known to man. Incidentally, my second life-size torso weighs in at 8 ounces (227 grams). 

The possibilities are endless, so it is not so much mission accomplished but rather a creative process that has only just begun. I now need to give the material full reign to its sculptural possibilities and in doing so to discover new ways of depicting the beauty of the nude figure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment