Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Set me free!


It's not me that's begging to be set free - I accomplished that sixty years ago - but the medium I am working with. The life-size sculptures that I am creating from fiber-rich handmade paper are not meant to imitate those made from bronze, plaster or marble. The material has an identity of its own and it would be pointless trying to make it conform to something it is not. It can best expressive its uniqueness when allowed to be itself.

The opening picture shows the front view of my most recent sculpture. It was molded on the plaster life-cast shown at the end my recent post Growing Old and Working My Way Up From The Bottom


The picture below shows the reverse side of the finished sculpture. This illustrates the possibilities of "two sides to the coin", something that cannot be achieved in other sculptural media.


If we now look in detail at the colours and textures the dramatic possibilities become apparent.



The finished sculpture measures 22" x 12" x 5" and weighs less than two ounces. In places it is almost transparent but its apparent fragility belies its strength and permanence. Remember, the fibers within the stem of a banana plant are also used to reinforce car tires! 

I now need to begin making paper specifically with sculpture in mind. For fine art papers I strive for sheets of an even thickness and for them dry flat. If left alone my handmade paper curls as it dries, just as an autumn leaf curls when it has fallen from the tree.

Perhaps the paper is also begging to be set free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment