Friday, May 29, 2020

I talked away most of it


James Abbott McNeill Whistler (1843-1903) had this to say about his sparse and impressionistic pastels of Venice: I thought away most of it and put down what was left.

What was left were masterpieces, as the one above.

Today I did it the other way around: I talked away most of it until there was nothing left!

This came about through trying to reassure a first time model. I have known Francess for many years but was taken by surprise when she told me she wanted to try modelling. It was a tough assignment for both of us. On one hand, her hesitancy and on the other our combined determination to give it a try. I never turn away potential models for I never know where I might find my next muse.

Below is my initial three minute sketch on a sheet of newsprint. The colour effect is due to my camera struggling to find the white balance. For once my camera's difficulties contributed to the creative process, so I let it be.  


Where I usually fail with a first time model is giving the face the same freedom as the figure. The face has to be put down in seconds with a loaded No.12 brush so as not to distract from the painting as a whole. In size it covers an area of less than two square inches. This time around I came close to succeeding with the face but failing miserably with the figure.   


At the end of the morning's session I asked Francess why she had put herself though the ordeal. Her answer echoed that of many of my models: I wanted to increase my self confidence and learn to feel comfortable in myself. If today's session helped towards that end it was well worthwhile.

I wrote my book Notes on the Nude specifically with models in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment