Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Little beaches for residents of little boxes


The Corona Virus will undoubtedly result in some new initiatives for the way we live our lives. But nothing could stretch the imagination further than the idea of dividing beaches into segregated Plexiglas boxes. This surely calls for a new verse to be added to the "Little Boxes" that Pete Seeger sang about in the 1960's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwUp-D_VV0

Recently little boxes have made their appearance on my island in the Caribbean and those that once had house and land of their own cannot now step beyond their front door during lock-downs. The closing pages of my book Townscapes has more to say on this development.



In a recent message, my daughter in the UK says that she considers herself fortunate: she still has her loved ones and her job. Many have lost both. I also consider myself fortunate. No one can deprive me of my work and twice a day, no one can prevent me from bathing in the river that borders my land. My COVID-19 shield is lush tropical foliage rather than two metres of man-made environmentally unfriendly Plexiglas.




No comments:

Post a Comment