Thursday, May 14, 2020

The Ghost of Sculpture Past

My way of coping with lock-down frustrations is to carry on creating. 

I desperately need to get back to painting but under present restrictions artists' models are not considered an essential service. I've tried working without but deprived of direct reference to the live model the results are a failure. I stand a slightly better chance with sculpture. In lieu of the real thing, I am surrounded by three dimensional figures from the past that were modelled from life, together with measurements and notes that I made from each model. The end result is a compromise, but better than doing nothing at all.

The ghost of sculpture past greeted me this morning as I was preparing to begin work on a relief similar to the one of Naomi that I featured two days ago. There, on the support I use for reliefs, was the ghostly imprint of an earlier torso.



On the same support there now stands the beginnings the latest addition to my Daughters of the Caribbean Sun. First the outline sketch and then the first steps in modelling the form. The figure is approximately half life-size.





No comments:

Post a Comment