Wednesday, May 27, 2020

A potential controversy

My brother alerted me today of a Twitter suggesting that a sculpture should be commissioned to celebrate the life of Anne Lister (1791-1840), a lesbian who in the 19th Century challenged misogynistic conventions and sexual norms.

Anne Lister lived on the outskirts of the Yorkshire village where I spent my childhood and I would welcome the challenge of commemorating that courageous lady in bronze. 

Perhaps one of my rejected controversial nude for the NHS could be resurrected to fulfill the commission. 


Below is a portrait of Anne Lister by Joshua Horner c.1830. Could it be that Ganeen, the model for my NHS sculpture, bares an uncanny resemblance. 


This commission would be more in my line than a recent request for 14 statues 5 feet in height representing the Stations of the Cross plus a life-size statue of our Lady of La Salette and children. I doubt if I'd live long enough to fulfill that one even if I wanted to!  

No comments:

Post a Comment