Tuesday, May 26, 2020

In desperation


Due to the Corona Virus restrictions it has been weeks since I painted from the live model, or for that matter, since I painted at all. Today, in desperation, I picked up my sketching bag and went outdoors in search of life, regardless of subject. Today's painting of what I call "purple grass" is the end result. The grass grows as tall as I am and I use it for paper making. The painting took my usual fifteen minutes from start to finish.

Here in Dominica we've gone weeks with no rainfall and temperatures well into the nineties. Landscapes that are normally "too much green" are beginning to take on the burnt brown, purple and ocher shades of my models; a colour scheme much more to my liking. 

Perhaps fate looked kindly on my attempt to carrying on regardless, for no sooner had I completed the painting than I received an email from a potential Daughter of the Caribbean Sun suggesting a Friday session.  

No comments:

Post a Comment