My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Many an oily rag…

Don’t strip down any further…just give me five minutes more… 

These were the instructions that I gave Denise this afternoon, not as my model but as my apprentice motor mechanic.  One of our works in progress is the restoration of a forty-year-old Land Rover.  William Turner or Claude Monet would have revelled in the scene under the bonnet. 

Like them, I have an affection for all things mechanical.  Many years ago, I attended the first (and possibly only) meeting of a group of painters that set out to establish a Society of Industrial Artists.  I must check to see if the society was infact established.  If it was, I might be able to add the letters MSIA to my name!


As you can see, the five minutes more, gave me time to grab a sketchbook and paint a “before” picture.  Many an oily rag will pass over the vehicle before I can add the “after” painting to my collection.

1 comment:

  1. Car engines looked far more interesting 40 years ago!

    ReplyDelete