My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Moving on…

Between 1995 and 2005, the years that I based my studio in England, one commission followed another.  It seemed that success as a sculptor had found me out, as it had done years earlier as a painter in the Virgin Islands. 

However, I know all too well that the creative spirit has a curious quirk in its nature: struggle and poverty spur it on, whereas ease and affluence cause it to procrastinate.  Maybe that is why, whenever things appear to be going along nicely in my life, I decided to up stakes and move on.

So, here I am on Dominica reinventing myself all over again.  For five years I put painting and sculpture on hold while we converted an abandoned slab of concrete into our home, studio and workshop.  Last year I returned to my work with new vigour and a new vision.


The picture shows the clay stage of my first sculpture from this new period.  With Denise as the model, it represents the “where do I go from here” mid-life transition: the reflection, the awakening and the moving on.

1 comment: