My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Monday, March 28, 2011

My dad can draw better than that…

Thus, said a young lad to his mate many years ago as he watched me sketching on the streets of Halifax, my hometown in England.  My eight-year-old son would sadly have to admit that, his dad cannot do better.  In his eyes, all I do is scribble.  Maybe scribble is the best I can do and to make matters worse I encourage my class to let themselves go and scribble for all they are worth.  

Here, to make matters doubly worse is scribble in detail.  It is from a sketch that I made of Denise as she modelled for last Saturday’s life class.  I see similarities between the lines of a scribbled sketch and a jazz musician’s improvisations around a well know standard.  I leave you to get into the swing of my scribbles.



1 comment:

  1. But within the scribble is a line, an angle, an emphasis which provides the key to understanding the entire piece, setting the eye on a journey that quickly makes sense of what initially might seem little more than a scribble. I too can scribble, but I lack the ability to plant that line, that angle, that emphasis.

    ReplyDelete