My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Mending the gates…

Earlier in the week, to illustrate my point about today’s equivalent of Constable’s haywain, I was at a loss to find a painting of a JCB or a ten-ton truck. 

Although not immediately obvious, there is a ten-ton truck in today’s painting and the steel band is perched on top of it.  It is from the series I made of Dominica’s Carnival Parade a week or so ago. 
 

Since  this morning, I have been at work in my machine shop rather than in my studio.  When replacements parts are urgently needed to keep the island’s businesses running, I put down my clay and paint brushes and start up my lathes and milling machines.  I suspect that on the day I arrive in the next world, rather than sculpting angels, I’ll be mending the gates!

PS.   This Sunday afternoon between 2.00 and 5.30 we're doing a special studio visit, garden tour and afternoon tea.  We extend a special invitation to diary followers here on Dominica.

1 comment:

  1. Even if I set off right now, I doubt I'd make it in time for your studio visit. Shame!

    ReplyDelete