Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Jamaican Girl…

In 1971, I held my first one-man show at the Kings Lynn Arts Festival.  The sculptor Enzo Plazzotta, exhibited at the same festival and his show included a bronze figure titled Jamaican Girl.  Thus began my interest in figurative sculpture and my love affair with the Caribbean.  

Somerset Maugham best expressed my love for these islands, in his book The Moon and Sixpence.

“Sometimes a man hits upon a place to which he mysteriously feels he belongs.  Here is the home he sought, and he will settle amid scenes that he has never seen before, among men he has never known, as though they were familiar to him from his birth.” 

In the warmth of the tropics, I found colour and vibrancy that previously had eluded me.  I also found the goddesses that have inspired my work as sculptor.  Curiously, despite the lure of the Jamaican Girl, the only island I have yet to visit is Jamaica.

This portrait dates from my early days in the Caribbean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment