Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A sign of the times…

If there is a word that sets my teeth on edge, the word is “beautification”.  The more historic and intrinsically fitting the place, the more do-gooders are hell-bent on beautifying it.  In this instance, the place is Roseau, capital of Dominica.   That is not to say that the city doesn’t need cleaning up and that many recent buildings are in such incredibly bad taste that they need tearing down, but cleaning up is different to tarting up.

The definitive books on the difference between the two are Gordon Cullen’s “Concise Townscape” and Ian Nairn’s “Outrage”.   I am sure that both authors would have added these signs to their collection.  I will bring you more examples from old and new Roseau in days to come.


1 comment:

  1. I was only thinking of "Outrage" the other day and trying to remember the name of the author. I well remember your letter to the local paper on the subject of rubbish bins.

    ReplyDelete