My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tranquillity…

When passions are exhausted and weariness invades my body and soul, I seek escape in the precious memories of rare moments when I have found true tranquillity.   They include:

            Night watches when running before gentle Atlantic trade winds.

            Sewing sails while lying at anchor in a secluded Caribbean Cove.

            Paving the path that leads down to our river.

The first dates back to 1974 and the last, to this afternoon.  From my studio, a winding path leads down to the River Antrim.  Over the years, Denise has made steps (117 in all) down the steepest sections and I have paved the 100 yard stretch that leads along the riverside to our bathing pool. 

For the last hour or so on most afternoons, I carry stones up from the riverbed and fit them together as a never-ending jigsaw puzzle.  My hands are occupied but my mind is free.  A combination that is common to all my moments of tranquillity.  Here’s a section of the path – the river is right behind me.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I would love to wander along that path.

    ReplyDelete