Wednesday, June 15, 2011

From clay to plaster…

The reclining torso that began my diary pages way back in February has now progressed from clay to plaster.  Normally, I do this by taking a plaster cast of the clay.  However, what you see in today’s picture is a polymer plaster copy that I have made by measurement rather than by a mould.   

I doubt if many other sculptors have used this technique.  Measurements are transferred from clay to plaster with the pointing device shown in the photograph.  It is similar to the way in which a clay original is copied in marble - but instead of chipping away to the final form, I’m building up. 


The process is long a tedious but it gives me the freedom to develop the work as I go along, for the copy need not rigorously replicate the clay.  The second picture shows the surface texture in detail.



No comments:

Post a Comment