My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A hybrid chair…

Today I took one look at a long list of priority jobs, said to heck with it, and made a chair. 

It was born out of humble circumstances.  Some weeks ago, the electricity company did some tree felling in the valley.   They carted away the good stuff but left behind a pile of off-cuts.  Denise, never one to let anything go to waste, gathered up their leftovers and out of her stash of spoils, I sneaked the pieces I needed.

As the chair is intended for the paved area down by the river, it as something of a curious cross between a three legged milking stool and a Windsor Chair.  It’s the kind of thing a country carpenter might have put together a hundred years ago.  In those days, a carpenter may have found time to embellish his creation with a touch of affection – just as I did before putting down my tools for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment