My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Innocent England…

Today I stumbled upon this photograph of autumn leaves cast in plaster.  Multiplied many times over and cast in bronze they were to have surrounded my innocent – but controversial – National Health Service standing nude.  (See diary page for May 9th.)  The sculpture depicts spring emerging from winter and the leaves would have formed a vortex around the figure.  However, even a whole host of leaves could not satisfy the prudish NHS Trustees as to the appropriateness of a nude figure in a hospital setting. 



D. H. Lawrence’s paintings suffered a similar fate.  Hence his poem “Innocent England”  which begins:
   
       Oh what a pity. Oh! Don’t you agree
       that figs aren’t found in the land of the free!
       Figs don’t grow in my native land;
      There’s never a fig-leaf near at hand
      When you want one; so I did without;
      And that is what the row’s all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment