My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Therein lays the challenge…

After weeks of being sidetracked I am now determined to put all else aside and get back to “hands on” painting and sculpting.  I say “hands on” because no matter where I am or what I am doing, my mind is continually interpreting what I see.  These pent up visions give me the thrust I need to get going again.  In addition, the spaces between one spurt of effort and the next, helps to prevent me from falling into a rut.  If only my visions could be fulfilled in practice! 

For years, I have been trying to give my sculpture the freedom and spontaneity of my sketches.  This seems to be in the realms of impossibility.  How can a sculpture that takes days, weeks or months to create equal a sketch that has taken a matter of minutes?   Yet therein lays the challenge for next week, next year and for the next twenty years.  In the meantime, this sketch serves as a reminder of what I am after. 



No comments:

Post a Comment