My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Oh, to be in England…

Not so much for April or the chaffinch singing on the orchard bough, but for all the supplies that I can’t get on a small island in the Caribbean. 

Oh, for a couple of bags of fine casting plaster.  In order to make a waste mould from the clay torso I’ve spent the day restoring the properties of a bag a plaster that has a sell-by date of January 2000.  First, I pulverised it back into fine particles then dehydrated it in the oven for a couple of hours at Gas Mark 8.  It’s cooling off as I write.

My wish list would continue with tubes of Winsor Newton Artists’ Watercolours, especially the colours, Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber and Viridian.  On the engineering side of things, a ¼” end mill would not go amiss and while I am at it, a decent pair of shorts – I mean shorts, not those sloppy things that come way below the knee.

While I’m dreaming on, here’s a sketch of an English hedgerow with blackberries.  It's dated the same as my bag of fine casting plaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment