My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Which comes first…

To answer the question posed yesterday by Honest Abe:  “Not sure which came first, the colour or the ink.”

Generally, the line comes first, but what you are seeing is pastel, not ink.  Over the years, I have tried almost anything that can make a line on paper: pencil, ink, charcoal, conté crayon, ball points and all manner of felt-tips.  Just before leaving England, I stumbled upon Pitt Pastel Pencils.  They are made by Faber Castell and work beautifully with watercolour.  I find that I can even apply them to wet paint, so sometimes I might strengthen a line as the painting progresses. 

In yesterday’s painting, I put the line down with point-breaking pressure.  In today’s painting, I used a lighter touch.  Once again, I'm working on a large scale (20" x 30")

No comments:

Post a Comment